mama scout lab e-course

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

make a popsicle stick castle



Inspired by a post by the awesome Filth Wizardry, I realized it had been awhile since my kids worked on a big, open ended project. 

All we needed was our stockpile of craft sticks, the glue gun and a Styrofoam base. We added in some straws, toothpicks, rocks and wooden figures. This was perfect for my engineer son;  he happily glued, planned, adjusted, and glued some more for over two hours.


Besides the fun of building a structure, he also became very interested in how the Styrofoam melted with the tip of the glue gun and the hanging strings of cooled glue. I usually remove those, but he started working with them and tried to incorporate them into the first floor. It takes a child's eye to appreciate that which we adults brush away as superfluous.

Do you let your kids use the glue gun? 

What about covering the table with a bunch of recyclables and nature items, a plugged in glue gun and a base? 

What do you think they might come up with? 




1 comment:

  1. That is fantastic. That hot glue gun is getting a real work out. My little girl would love the make structures like your kids. At the moment she spends ages sticky taping wooden paddle pop sticks together.
    Thanks for visiting my blog. I am following you now of fb and pinterest.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...